Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Honest, I'm not perfect

On the radio today I heard an eHarmony commercial featuring Lindsay Lohan. In it she addresses rumors and many of the negative exploits she has been involved in. When it was over, the DJ said the commercial made him like Lindsay again. I was feeling the same way. There is something refreshing about a person admitting her faults and even poking fun at herself.
Why does it seem so natural for us to hide our faults and mistakes? If we do admit we were wrong, we might be hit with a lawsuit in some situations. I don't think this is the driving force behind our cover-ups though.
In Genesis, Adam and Eve tried to hide from God when they did something wrong. It was a natural, instinctive reaction. We know we aren't perfect, yet we don't want to let others see that. We tell ourselves that it is more important to save face with others and to make ourselves look good, rather than be honest about who we are and what we've done. This troubles me. I think it takes a lot of courage to humble oneself and own up to one's mistakes and shortcomings.
I consider myself to be an honest person, but when I think about this, I don't feel so honest anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment